Energy Tax Credit Available for ENERGY STAR® Qualified Clopay Entry Doors
Thanks to legislation passed by Congress, homeowners may be able to claim a tax credit worth up to $500 for an ENERGY STAR qualified Clopay entry door purchased in 2012 or 2013.
The credit equals 10% of the product cost up to a lifetime of maximum of $500. For example, if the entry door costs $2,000, the tax credit would be $200. Labor and installation charges are not included.
To be eligible for the tax credit, the entry door must:
- Meet ENERGY STAR program requirements. (http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=windows_doors.pr_anat_window)
- Be installed in a taxpayer's existing primary residence between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2013.
- View a list of qualifying Clopay entry door models. (/publicfiles/53103%20CLO%20ENTDR%20Tax%20Flyer%20V1R3.pdf)
How to claim the tax credit:
- Obtain a receipt showing the purchase price of the door, excluding installation charges, and the Manufacturer’s Certification Statement. (/publicfiles/53103%20CLO%20ENTDR%20Tax%20Flyer%20V1R3.pdf)
- Submit tax form 5695 to claim the credit for the year the purchase was made.
Homeowners who claimed a residential energy tax credit in a previous year should consult a tax professional or visit http://www.irs.gov/ to determine their eligibility for this credit.